Home > Uncategorized > Windows Server 2008 and Upgrading VMware Tools gives vmci.sys 0xc0000098 BSOD

Windows Server 2008 and Upgrading VMware Tools gives vmci.sys 0xc0000098 BSOD

February 15th, 2012 Leave a comment Go to comments

I just experienced a vmci.sys 0xc0000098 BSOD bluescreen on upgrading VMware Tools on Windows Server 2008 (not R2) and was stuck in an endless reboot loop. It would not even boot into safe mode. However, I used “Last Known Good Configuration” while booting up, and it fixed the issue and allowed me to boot into Windows. A quick Google search didn’t result anything similar so I figured I’d share my findings. Comment if it works for you!

1. Roland Niolic
    February 29th, 2012 at 16:06 | #1

had the same error after upgrading an sbs 2008 vm to latest esxi5 vm tools, last known good configuration did not work for me.finally i renamed vmci.sys to vmci.old on c drive and rebooted. server is working again.

2. jvincent
    April 9th, 2012 at 13:28 | #2

We were able to resolve the issue (in a virtual environment) by doing the following:

– turn off the afflicted server
    – mount the C: drive of that server onto another Windows machine in vCenter
    – rename the vmci.sys to vmci.sys.old
    – disconnect the drive mounting
    – turn the afflicted server back on

3. May 30th, 2012 at 09:59 | #3

Thanks for the tips. Just same me with a Windows Server 2008 (32bit) with the same issue.

4. Jim Taylor
    September 13th, 2012 at 07:55 | #4

Strangely I had this problem this morning updating a hosts tools and then upgrading Virtual Hardware from 4 -> 8. Tools update seemed to go OK, then rebooted – but after doing the virtual hardware I ran into this problem.

Ended up reverting to snapshot.

However I subsequently cloned this VM, and reran through the process and it worked beautifully. Go figure!

5. August 5th, 2017 at 09:35 | #5

Hello admin, i must say you have hi quality articles here.
    Your website should go viral. You need initial traffic only.

How to get it? Search for; Mertiso’s tips go viral